H.E. Prime Minister of the Republic of Lithuania Ms Ingrida Šimonytė will pay an official visit to Latvia on 17-18 June. During the visit, Ms Šimonytė will meet with top government officials, lay a bouquet at the Freedom Monument, visit cultural and historical memorials and attends several other events.
Madam Prime Minister will start off her visit to Latvia on 17 June by going to Riga Lithuanian Secondary School and attending an informal dinner hosted by the Latvian Prime Minister Krišjānis Kariņš on her first day in Latvia.
On 18 June, the second day of the visit, Lithuanian Prime Minister will meet with President of Latvia Egils Levits at the Riga Castle and then go to Saeima (Parliament of the Republic of Latvia) to meet with the Speaker of the Saeima Ināra Mūrniece. She will then lay flowers in a special ceremony at the Freedom Monument and proceed to the official bilateral meeting with Latvian Prime Minister and delegation at the Cabinet of Ministers.
After the meeting at the Cabinet of Ministers on the second day of the visit, Ms Šimonytė and Mr Kariņš will take part in a joint press conference, followed by visit to the Latvian National Museum of Art and Soviet occupation victims’ memorial ‘History Tactile’. Lithuanian Prime Minister will be accompanied by Lithuania’s Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis on her official visit to Latvia.
Arrangements of the visit comply with safety protocols adopted by Latvia due to the pandemic.
Latvia and Lithuania are bound by close cooperation and shared interests with regard to the Baltic Sea region, and strategic partnership in the framework of the European Union and NATO. Countries have established successful working relations on the parliamentary, ministerial, local government and non-governmental level.
Common heritage and close personal ties between Latvians and Lithuanians contribute to an environment where non-governmental actors can cooperate much more easily, which leads to numerous successful cross-border initiatives and joint projects in the field of culture, tourism and many other areas.
NB! (information for the media):
- The application for accreditation is closed.
- To attend the below media events, media are required to obtain a special accreditation for each media representative.
- Media events taking place indoors are open to accredited media only if they can present a valid certificate verifying that they have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 or have successfully recovered from the virus.
- Accredited media representatives attending outdoor media events are required to wear a face mask covering nose and mouth when social distancing is not possible.
- To cover the official visit of H.E. Prime Minister of the Republic of Lithuania Ms Ingrida Šimonytė to Latvia, please register by sending the accreditation form to State Chancellery no later than 15 June 2021, 12:00. Media are required to register each of their representatives separately. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- Accredited media are required to follow the official dress code.